Friday, May 29, 2009

Health Food Shopping

On my new commute home this week, I noticed that the bus passes by this cute little natural health foods shop at Victoria Park and Kingston Road. I think I may go check it out after work. It is always exciting to discover a new health food store! My love for them has only increased in the past few months. I always like to start in the Larabar aisle :)

There is, of course, the popular Whole Foods, which is a great (but expensive!) chain that is likely the reason natural foods has exploded in recent years! In Toronto, we are lucky enough to have The Big Carrot, a giant co-op that has an amazing selection on par with Whole Foods but with more reasonable prices. Noah's Natural Foods is a small chain of natural foods stores dispersed throughout the city. It's pricier than The Big Carrot but you can't beat their great locations. The shop I most frequent is the aptly named The Health Shoppe. It's close to my work so I like to pop in on lunch breaks and peruse the aisles. (That's normal, right?) I am also incredibly impressed with the natural foods section of Loblaw's and The Real Canadian Superstore. I can't imagine half of these products even being offered at a major grocery store 10 years ago. I remember when I first became a vegetarian (going on 9 years this August!) and finding a good tofu hot dog was like trying to finding a needle in a haystack. No lie. The times, they have changed for the better!

All of this talk makes me want to go check out some bulk bins, y'know?

No comments:

Post a Comment