Sunday, June 14, 2009

Almost Summer (and the living is sweet)

The meal was so memorable that I had to post some photos here from Friday night's Keg dinner.

My giant glass of wine:


And fajitas! Fajitas are fun, although it can be tricky figuring out how much "stuffing" you have in relation to the number of shells in order to have a continuous shell to stuffing ratio. Stressful!

Anyhow, today I got the eating back on track! And had a 5 hour bike ride to boot.

I started out the day with a Green Monster and only a Green Monster. I needed to detox!

It contained:
  • 1 banana
  • 1 cup of 1% milk
  • 1 kiwi
  • 1 scoop of hemp protein powder
  • 2 smallish handfuls of spinach
It was quite a bit thicker than usual, I am guessing from the kiwi? The protein powder helped keep me full for about 4 hours and then I had an early lunch. For lunch, I had some leftover greek pasta salad (made with whole wheat noodles, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, feta cheese and a homemade vinegar/oil dressing), topped with some homemade hummus, and with a side of cherries.

We then embarked on a long bike ride (I purposely kept my helmet on to give this photo credibility!)


We ended up making it to Harbourfront, this cute area by the water in downtown Toronto. I can't believe we rode all the way downtown, and I can't believe it only took 45 minutes! We rewarded ourselves with a stop at a patio overlooking the water. I had a frappucino-like beverage with whipped cream! Hubs ordered a Corona and is doing an elaborate flipping gesture in order to insert a lime into it? I don't drink beer and am unfamiliar with its rituals.


We also ordered bruschetta. I had one piece.


We then rode our bikes to The Beaches area of Queen Street East and walked around a bit. I was surprised to be hungry again so soon, but I suppose that constant bodily motion will do that to a metabolism (I am very unfamiliar with this!). I had packed this Vel bar for a snack. It was excellent!


We eventually made our way home and I relaxed for a bit before starting dinner. I had some iced coffee (this had black coffee, ice, and about 1/4 cup of milk). I am reading In Defense of Food. Review to soon come!


For dinner, I had steamed asparagus, more leftover pasta salad, and a morningstar garden burger with some salsa. I am slowly working my way through the different brands of veggie burgers in the health food section of Loblaw's. I really liked Amy's, but these are delicious too (and cheaper!).


And for dessert, 1/2 of a mango, 1 kiwi, and a handful of blueberries.


It's been an excellent weekend. I love summer. The best part is that it's not even officially summer yet. This is the best time of the year, hands down.

2 comments:

  1. I need to start adding protein powder to my green monsters. I had one for breakfast and it wasn't that filling. Right now, I am drinking it for the glow (more than nourishment?). :-)

    Also, I am hoping that we will take a bike ride if the bikes are in working order. *Fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I don't add protein powder to a GM, I need to eat something else with it like toast with pb. Have you noticed any glow yet? :)

    ReplyDelete