Friday, June 26, 2009

Food Inc.

Hey there, Internet! Sorry for the neglect. I have had a couple of epiphanies this week and am not so sure a food blog is the healthiest or most lucrative activity for me. I enjoy each entry I produce, but the pictures take forever to load! My New Year's resolution was actually to spend less time on the Internet and I am doing the exact opposite of that, so I just don't know about this thing. This is typical Robyn, by the way. I am so gung ho and then two weeks pass and then all of a sudden I am not. It's tough being multi-faceted! Haha.

I just wanted to write a bit about a movie I saw today called Food Inc. It's a documentary created by the authors of the books Fast Food Nation and the Omnivore's Dilemma (and In Defense of Food!). It's all about modern food production and how truly horrific it is for our health and our planet. I could go on and on about the horrors of factory farming, Monsanto, fast food, diabetes, environmental degradation etc., but instead I just suggest you see this movie. It is eye-opening, even to a fairly educated vegetarian like me. If the movie isn't showing near you, I'd recommend those books, which deliver the same message.

You see a movie like this and feel so empowered to make changes. It is frightening how we can know what we do about something as important and simple as food, and yet still make the same mistakes all because of a monetary price. Spending just 3-5% more on food could seriously change the face of our planet for the good. Back in the 50s, families spent 15% of their income on food. Not bad for, like, total sustenance! Now, we spend about 9% of our income. We are also unhealthier.

So that is what has got me all fired up today. Tomorrow I am heading to the farmer's market and hope to make some inspired choices. I am not sure when I will be back to this thing, but if you are reading, I do appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment