Monday, June 1, 2009

Weekend Recap

Another weekend has come and gone! I didn't take photos of my food because it's a bit more complicated on the weekends, but I still maintained my regular eating patterns which is a feat in itself! On Saturday, we visited with the hub's family. I had a bun-less tofurkey sausage, a few veggies grilled on the BBQ in oil, and a slice of this great, hearty bread. On Sunday, I attended a bridal shower which is notorious for delectable appetizers and sweets. I had a few sundried tomato hummus with basil pesto spiral appetizers, a bun-less veggie burger, a bit of potato salad, and some of my vegan bean salad. No dessert, though. I didn't feel like having anything too heavily processed. The veggie burger provided enough of that!

This weekend also had two special events! Firstly, the hubs consumed his first Green Monster! I made it easy on the palate with:
  • 1 banana
  • 1 cup of 1% milk
  • 2 strawberries
  • 2 handfuls of spinach

I left out the protein powder because that makes it pretty bitter. Since the spinach is basically tasteless, this was just a green strawberry banana smoothie. He liked it!

The second big event was that I weighed myself. I don't own a scale but happened to come across one at my in-laws. I haven't weighed myself in a few months. I am down about 5 pounds! For the first time in my adult (or teenage, or even pubescent) life, I have cracked 160 and weigh 159. The pursuit of health is not about numbers, but I can't help but be filled with happiness over this. I walk that precarious line between ecstatic and cautious. Scales and numbers can become an obsessive habit. A part of me doesn't care what the scale says, I just want to eat healthy and exercise (oh yeah, about that...). The other part of me has a very defined number in my head that is the Ultimate Goal. What happens when that Ultimate Goal is reached, I have no idea! So I try to just focus on the healthy eating part. That I can do no problem.

I will post tonight with pictures from today. For dinner, I am making a curried eggplant with tomatoes and basil recipe, served over quinoa with a dollop of yogurt. A great meal for a rainy day! Did I mention that it's the 1st of June and I am wearing a sweater? Welcome to Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment