Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Thriving

Another day, another dollar! Yep, today is pay day which is always nice, but tomorrow my first mortgage payment comes automatically out of my account. And so I begin the next 26 years of my life.

On a lighter note, I ate some good food today. Makes the "signing of one's life away" a bit more palatable.

For breakfast, I had my favourite cereal combo:
  • 1 cup Spelt
  • 1/2 cup plain non-fat yogurt
  • 1/2 banana
  • 2 strawberries
  • Some pecans, walnuts, goji berries, pepitas and raisins
  • Spoonful of almond butter
It was as good as it sounds...and looks!

Strawberries are on sale right now, 2 lbs for $3.77 so I have stocked up. I had some more berries for a morning snack.

You will never in a million years guess what I had for lunch! Ok, I am not placing money on that bet, because I ended up having more of the curried eggplant dish. I think there is one serving left in my fridge but I'm not touching it. Either the hubs eats it or I have to throw it out. This was a tasty dish, but I have definitely OD'd on it. I am looking forward to a salad tomorrow!

This afternoon, I munched on this little container filled with every seed, dried fruit and nut product I currently have in my pantry (except for dates! I like to enjoy those on their own). This contains pepitas, raisins, goji berries, walnuts, cashews and pecans. I am constantly impressed by how filling nuts are. Are they a "superfood"? I am going to say yes.

Dinner contained no curry or eggplant, praise the Lord. 

This is one of my go-to meals. We have here a baked sweet potato topped with non-fat plain yogurt (I had yogurt at all three meals today!); some steamed asparagus and zucchini; and baked beans with chopped up veggie italian sausage in it.

The sausage was Yves brand, probably the most common brand for veggie meat delights in Canada. I think I enjoy their veggie ground meat at least once a week.

As I become more educated about food, I realize that I want to decrease my intake of soy, especially highly processed soy products like this. The ingredient list is pretty complex with many scary, Frankenstein words. But then I look at the nutrition facts and I shed a tear. 22 grams of protein!?  Come to mama! <--?
   This dinner stuffed me full. I haven't felt this full since I began eating healthier early last month. I am going to listen to my body and forego a snack this evening. I am sticking to some lemon green tea, my expandable pants, and this book I picked up at the library after work: The Thrive Diet: the whole foods way to losing weight, reducing stress, and staying healthy for life.  Just looking at the Table of Contents gets me excited.  It is going to be a scintillating night.



No comments:

Post a Comment